Thursday, February 14, 2008

God dammit, what's WRONG with people?

This is my old college. It's also Skippy's and Jax's and all of our other friends' school.

I had classes in Cole Hall. I'm sure that everyone else we know did as well - it's a popular lecture hall that holds a couple hundred people for gen ed classes and other large majors. Today some complete and total ASS decided he'd walk in and shoot a bunch of people.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/14/university.shooting/index.html

My thoughts and prayers are with the students who are injured.

Dammit. Happy Valentine's Day indeed. What in the hell is WRONG with people?

A blog update posted at 7:00p.m. pacific.... Authorities have confirmed the deaths of five students, plus the gunman. I can't even imagine what it's like on campus right now. NIU is near and dear to my heart - in a lot of ways I feel like it is where my life began. I wouldn't have Skippy in my life without NIU. I wouldn't have so many of my close friends who are like a second family to me.

This stuff happens at other schools. Not mine. That shouldn't be a building I once sat in on CNN. That shouldn't be MY old residence hall I can see in the background. This stuff doesn't happen in DeKalb, Illinois - birth of barbed wire and home of a good old fashioned corn fest. This stuff doesn't happen less than ten miles from where I was raising my family before we moved. It just doesn't.

I know that all I can do is pray for peace for those who are in pain right now. But it's not right that I should have to.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

You know you were one of the first people I thought of when I heard about this. This kind of shit isn't supposed to happen this close to home. Hell, I had classes in Cole practically every day and worked right next door in Reavis. You're right, that's not supposed to happen at our school, this just blows my freakin mind right now. Can you imagine what the parents must have gone through, not being able to get in touch with their kids? The terror they must feel right now. What kind of world IS this???? *hug*

Anonymous said...

i thought of you as soon as i heard this too, hoping that it wasn't your school. so sorry to hear from chuck that it was. hug those kiddos tight tonight.

xx

Anonymous said...

I'm going to DeKalb tonight.. I will cry a hundred tears for you..

NIU-LOVE

Unknown said...

HUSKIE LOVE!!!!